Head of School
Aarhus International School (AIS)
Aarhus International School is growing and increasing student capacity up to 600 children from summer 2024.
AIS is a private day school for students of expatriate and Danish families, an IB World school with authorized programmes for Primary Years and Middle Years.
Our new Head of School will manage a growing and developing school, with dedicated staff, students, and families with students from over 40 different nationalities within the 3-to-15-year age-group. AIS values its strong community both within staff and families, and our new Head of School is expected to further nurture and grow the AIS community and inclusive culture.
The Head of School is responsible for both the Educational Leadership and the Administrative and Operational Management of the school.
The ideal candidate will embrace the spirit of exploration, inclusion, and achievement that has guided AIS since its founding in 2011. The person will cultivate a global-minded, inclusive environment that inspires both students and staff, fosters a shared humanity, and celebrates cultural diversity. The Head of School reports to, and will work closely with, the School Board. The Head of School will represent AIS in relation to the wider school community and will maintain and hone AIS’ commitment to quality international education, co-curricular activities, community engagement, as well as global educational and cultural exchange partnerships.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Head of School will have the overall responsibility of leading the educational team and ensuring a good and positive collaboration between management and staff. The Head of School is also responsible for cooperating with all relevant authorities.
- Develop and implement the educational strategy, ensuring alignment with the IB curriculum and national and international accreditation standards.
- Promote a positive, inclusive, and collaborative learning environment that fosters academic excellence, creativity, and personal growth.
- Maintain stability and further develop a positive school culture, building on already existing appreciated school traditions and generating new ones.
- Oversee the recruitment, development, and retention of high-quality teaching and support staff, nurturing a culture of collaboration and respect.
- Ensure ongoing professional development and training opportunities for faculty and staff.
- Monitor and evaluate professional performance of academic leadership team and faculty, student performance, academic programmes, and teaching methodologies to ensure continuous improvement and alignment with AIS’s values and strategy.
Administrative and Operational Management
- Oversee daily school operations, including facilities management, health and safety, and the implementation of school policies and procedures.
- Overall responsibility for the school budget in collaboration with the Business Manager as well as the School Board, ensuring efficient allocation of resources and financial sustainability.
- Implement effective marketing and communication strategies that showcase AIS’ commitment to quality IB education, co-curricular activities, and community engagement.
- Foster strong relationships with parents, alumni, and other stakeholders, celebrating the richness of cultures represented in the school community.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant national and international regulations, laws, and accreditation requirements.
Strategic Planning and Vision:
- Collaborate with the School Board to establish a clear vision for the future growth and development of AIS.
- Develop and execute strategic plans to achieve the school's goals and objectives, with a focus on exploring international programmes.
- Monitor and evaluate the school's progress towards strategic objectives, adjusting as needed.
- Engage with the wider educational community to stay informed about trends, best practices, and emerging opportunities.
Skills, Experience, & Attributes Sought
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to engage effectively and positively with diverse stakeholders.
- A collaborative and inclusive leadership style that fosters a culture of trust, respect, and accountability.
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in education, with at least 5 years in a senior leadership role, preferably in an IB World School setting.
- Knowledge of the International Baccalaureate curriculum continuum is preferred with a commitment to fostering a global mindset in students and staff.
- Demonstrated success in strategic planning, budget management, and operational oversight.
- Experience in promoting co-curricular activities, sports & health, schoolwide STEM program development, global educational partnerships, social responsibility initiatives, environmental awareness projects, the arts and cultural immersion initiatives, and community events.
Academic & Professional Qualifications
- Master’s degree or similar level in Education, Educational Leadership, or a related field from an accredited institution.
- Certification within IB related areas preferred.
- Qualifications with administration or headship.
Salary & Benefits
The salary and benefits package are based upon union agreement. The overall package will be based upon the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. For further information please contact Chairperson Niclas Kvernrød at +45 2236 2872.
Interested candidates should apply by using the e-mail email@example.com, where you are asked to submit the following confidential materials:
- Cover letter expressing interest and qualifications for the position.
- Current CV / Resume (please do not include your photo).
There will be an ongoing review of applications. The review process will be handled by a recruitment team consisting of AIS board members as well as staff representatives. We are aiming for the onboarding and transition of the new Head of School to begin either in June or in August 2024.